Wednesday, February 1, 2023

Prayer before Mass


SHORT INSTRUCTION
Of all the practices recommended by our holy religion: Morning and Evening Prayers, Prayers before and after Meals, Visit to the Most Holy Sacrament, Rosary, Way of the Cross, etc. -- the august Sacrifice of the Mass is infinitely greater. It is the most precious, the most holy of practices, as well as the most conducive to man's salvation.

Holy Mass was instituted by Christ Himself at the last Supper. He commanded His Apostles to do the same that He had done, saying: "Do this for a commemoration of Me."

Assisting at holy Mass you should have the four-fold intention of ADORATION, by which we acknowledge our dependence on God as the Ruler over life and death; of PRAISE AND THANKSGIVING for the benefits conferred on us; of REPARATION for our sins and negligences; of IMPETRATION, to implore of Him the grace necessary for our salvation. If you desire to implore other benefits from God, through the holy Sacrifice of the Mass, very well, but do not forget the main intention.

You can offer the Mass in union with the priest for some particular end; for instance, to obtain the grace to practise a particular virtue, overcome a special temptation, or obtain any other favour either for yourself or your neighbour.


PREPARATION FOR HOLY MASS
Ant. Ne reminiscáris, Dómine, delícta nostra, vel paréntum nostrórum, neque vindíctam sumas de peccátis nostris. (T.P. Alleluia.)Ant. Remember not, O Lord, our offences, nor those of our fathers; neither take Thou vengence on our sins. (P.T. Alleluia). 


Psalm 83 (84)
[The soul aspires after heaven, rejoicing in the meantime in being in the communion of God's Church upon earth. The Israelites recited this psalm on their way to the Temple for the Feast of Passover.]
2 Quam dilecta tabernacula tua, Domine virtutum!2 How lovely are thy tabernacles, O Lord of hosts!
3 Concupiscit, et deficit anima mea in atria Domini; cor meum et caro mea exsultaverunt in Deum vivum.3 my soul longeth and fainteth for the courts of the Lord. My heart and my flesh have rejoiced in the living God.
4 Etenim passer invenit sibi domum, et turtur nidum sibi, ubi ponat pullos suos: altaria tua, Domine virtutum, rex meus, et Deus meus.4 For the sparrow hath found herself a house, and the turtle a nest for herself where she may lay her young ones: Thy altars, O Lord of hosts, my king and my God.
5 Beati qui habitant in domo tua, Domine; in sæcula sæculorum laudabunt te.5 Blessed are they that dwell in thy house, O Lord: they shall praise thee for ever and ever.
6 Beatus vir cujus est auxilium abs te: ascensiones in corde suo disposuit,6 Blessed is the man whose help is from thee: in his heart he hath disposed to ascend by steps,
7 in valle lacrimarum, in loco quem posuit.7 in the vale of tears, in the place which he hath set.
8 Etenim benedictionem dabit legislator; ibunt de virtute in virtutem: videbitur Deus deorum in Sion.8 For the lawgiver shall give a blessing, they shall go from virtue to virtue: the God of gods shall be seen in Sion.
9 Domine Deus virtutum, exaudi orationem meam; auribus percipe, Deus Jacob.9 O Lord God of hosts, hear my prayer: give ear, O God of Jacob.
10 Protector noster, aspice, Deus, et respice in faciem christi tui.10 Behold, O God our protector: and look on the face of thy Christ.
11 Quia melior est dies una in atriis tuis super millia; elegi abjectus esse in domo Dei mei magis quam habitare in tabernaculis peccatorum.11 For better is one day in thy courts above thousands. I have chosen to be an abject in the house of my God, rather than to dwell in the tabernacles of sinners.
12 Quia misericordiam et veritatem diligit Deus: gratiam et gloriam dabit Dominus.12 For God loveth mercy and truth: the Lord will give grace and glory.
13 Non privabit bonis eos qui ambulant in innocentia: Domine virtutum, beatus homo qui sperat in te.13 He will not deprive of good things them that walk in innocence: O Lord of hosts, blessed is the man that trusteth in thee.
Glória Patri, et Fílio, et Spirítui Sancto. Sicut erat in princípio, et nunc, et semper, et in sǽcula sæculórum. Amen.Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost. As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.


Psalm 84 (85)
[The coming of Christ, to bring peace and salvation to man. Almighty God has taken His people back into favour and continues to show them the treasure of His propitiation and mercy.]
2 Benedixisti, Domine, terram tuam; avertisti captivitatem Jacob.2 Lord, thou hast blessed thy land: thou hast turned away the captivity of Jacob.
3 Remisisti iniquitatem plebis tuæ; operuisti omnia peccata eorum.3 Thou hast forgiven the iniquity of thy people: thou hast covered all their sins.
4 Mitigasti omnem iram tuam; avertisti ab ira indignationis tuæ.4 Thou hast mitigated all thy anger: thou hast turned away from the wrath of thy indignation.
5 Converte nos, Deus salutaris noster, et averte iram tuam a nobis.5 Convert us, O God our saviour: and turn off thy anger from us.
6 Numquid in æternum irasceris nobis? aut extendes iram tuam a generatione in generationem?6 Wilt thou be angry with us for ever: or wilt thou extend thy wrath from generation to generation?
7 Deus, tu conversus vivificabis nos, et plebs tua lætabitur in te.7 Thou wilt turn, O God, and bring us to life: and thy people shall rejoice in thee.
8 Ostende nobis, Domine, misericordiam tuam, et salutare tuum da nobis.8 Shew us, O Lord, thy mercy; and grant us thy salvation.
9 Audiam quid loquatur in me Dominus Deus, quoniam loquetur pacem in plebem suam, et super sanctos suos, et in eos qui convertuntur ad cor.9 I will hear what the Lord God will speak in me: for he will speak peace unto his people: And unto his saints: and unto them that are converted to the heart.
10 Verumtamen prope timentes eum salutare ipsius, ut inhabitet gloria in terra nostra.10 Surely his salvation is near to them that fear him: that glory may dwell in our land.
11 Misericordia et veritas obviaverunt sibi; justitia et pax osculatæ sunt.11 Mercy and truth have met each other: justice and peace have kissed.
12 Veritas de terra orta est, et justitia de cælo prospexit.12 Truth is sprung out of the earth: and justice hath looked down from heaven.
13 Etenim Dominus dabit benignitatem, et terra nostra dabit fructum suum.13 For the Lord will give goodness: and our earth shall yield her fruit.
14 Justitia ante eum ambulabit, et ponet in via gressus suos.14 Justice shall walk before him: and shall set his steps in the way.
Glória Patri, et Fílio, et Spirítui Sancto. Sicut erat in princípio, et nunc, et semper, et in sǽcula sæculórum. Amen.Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost. As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.


Psalm 85 (86)
[A prayer for God's grace to assist us to the end.]
1 Inclina, Domine, aurem tuam et exaudi me, quoniam inops et pauper sum ego.1 Incline thy ear, O Lord, and hear me: for I am needy and poor.
2 Custodi animam meam, quoniam sanctus sum; salvum fac servum tuum, Deus meus, sperantem in te.2 Preserve my soul, for I am holy: save thy servant, O my God, that trusteth in thee.
3 Miserere mei, Domine, quoniam ad te clamavi tota die;3 Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I have cried to thee all the day.
4 lætifica animam servi tui, quoniam ad te, Domine, animam meam levavi.4 Give joy to the soul of thy servant, for to thee, O Lord, I have lifted up my soul.
5 Quoniam tu, Domine, suavis et mitis, et multæ misericordiæ omnibus invocantibus te.5 For thou, O Lord, art sweet and mild: and plenteous in mercy to all that call upon thee.
6 Auribus percipe, Domine, orationem meam, et intende voci deprecationis meæ.6 Give ear, O Lord, to my prayer: and attend to the voice of my petition.
7 In die tribulationis meæ clamavi ad te, quia exaudisti me.7 I have called upon thee in the day of my trouble: because thou hast heard me.
8 Non est similis tui in diis, Domine, et non est secundum opera tua.8 There is none among the gods like unto thee, O Lord: and there is none according to thy works.
9 Omnes gentes quascumque fecisti venient, et adorabunt coram te, Domine, et glorificabunt nomen tuum.9 All the nations thou hast made shall come and adore before thee, O Lord: and they shall glorify thy name.
10 Quoniam magnus es tu, et faciens mirabilia; tu es Deus solus.10 For thou art great and dost wonderful things: thou art God alone.
11 Deduc me, Domine, in via tua, et ingrediar in veritate tua; lætetur cor meum, ut timeat nomen tuum.11 Conduct me, O Lord, in thy way, and I will walk in thy truth: let my heart rejoice that it may fear thy name.
12 Confitebor tibi, Domine Deus meus, in toto corde meo, et glorificabo nomen tuum in æternum:12 I will praise thee, O Lord my God, with my whole heart, and I will glorify thy name for ever:
13 quia misericordia tua magna est super me, et eruisti animam meam ex inferno inferiori.13 For thy mercy is great towards me: and thou hast delivered my soul out of the lower hell.
14 Deus, iniqui insurrexerunt super me, et synagoga potentium quæsierunt animam meam: et non proposuerunt te in conspectu suo.14 O God, the wicked are risen up against me, and the assembly of the mighty have sought my soul: and they have not set thee before their eyes.
15 Et tu, Domine Deus, miserator et misericors; patiens, et multæ misericordiæ, et verax.15 And thou, O Lord, art a God of compassion, and merciful, patient, and of much mercy, and true.
16 Respice in me, et miserere mei; da imperium tuum puero tuo, et salvum fac filium ancillæ tuæ.16 O look upon me, and have mercy on me: give thy command to thy servant, and save the son of thy handmaid.
17 Fac mecum signum in bonum, ut videant qui oderunt me, et confundantur: quoniam tu, Domine, adjuvisti me, et consolatus es me.17 Shew me a token for good: that they who hate me may see, and be confounded, because thou, O Lord, hast helped me and hast comforted me.
Glória Patri, et Fílio, et Spirítui Sancto. Sicut erat in princípio, et nunc, et semper, et in sǽcula sæculórum. Amen.Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost. As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.


Psalm 115 (116:10-19)
[This Psalm is an act of thanksgiving of the Hebrews for deliverance from deadly peril.]
1 Credidi, propter quod locutus sum; ego autem humiliatus sum nimis.1 I have believed, therefore have I spoken; but I have been humbled exceedingly.
2 Ego dixi in excessu meo: Omnis homo mendax.2 I said in my excess: Every man is a liar.
3 Quid retribuam Domino pro omnibus quæ retribuit mihi?3 What shall I render to the Lord, for all the things that he hath rendered to me?
4 Calicem salutaris accipiam, et nomen Domini invocabo.4 I will take the chalice of salvation; and I will call upon the name of the Lord.
5 Vota mea Domino reddam coram omni populo ejus.5 I will pay my vows to the Lord before all his people:
6 Pretiosa in conspectu Domini mors sanctorum ejus.6 precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints.
7 O Domine, quia ego servus tuus; ego servus tuus, et filius ancillæ tuæ. Dirupisti vincula mea:7 O Lord, for I am thy servant: I am thy servant, and the son of thy handmaid. Thou hast broken my bonds:
8 tibi sacrificabo hostiam laudis, et nomen Domini invocabo.8 I will sacrifice to thee the sacrifice of praise, and I will call upon the name of the Lord.
9 Vota mea Domino reddam in conspectu omnis populi ejus;9 I will pay my vows to the Lord in the sight of all his people:
10 in atriis domus Domini, in medio tui, Jerusalem.10 in the courts of the house of the Lord, in the midst of thee, O Jerusalem.
Glória Patri, et Fílio, et Spirítui Sancto. Sicut erat in princípio, et nunc, et semper, et in sǽcula sæculórum. Amen.Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost. As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.


Psalm 129 (130)
[We have committed sins: we confess we have sinned. But God grants pardon to him who repents.]
1 De profundis clamavi ad te, Domine;1 Out of the depths I have cried to thee, O Lord:
2 Domine, exaudi vocem meam. Fiant aures tuæ intendentes in vocem deprecationis meæ.2 Lord, hear my voice. Let thy ears be attentive to the voice of my supplication.
3 Si iniquitates observaveris, Domine, Domine, quis sustinebit?3 If thou, O Lord, wilt mark iniquities: Lord, who shall stand it.
4 Quia apud te propitiatio est; et propter legem tuam sustinui te, Domine. Sustinuit anima mea in verbo ejus:4 For with thee there is merciful forgiveness: and by reason of thy law, I have waited for thee, O Lord. My soul hath relied on his word:
5 speravit anima mea in Domino.5 my soul hath hoped in the Lord.
6 A custodia matutina usque ad noctem, speret Israël in Domino.6 From the morning watch even until night, let Israel hope in the Lord.
7 Quia apud Dominum misericordia, et copiosa apud eum redemptio.7 Because with the Lord there is mercy: and with him plentiful redemption.
8 Et ipse redimet Israël ex omnibus iniquitatibus ejus.8 And he shall redeem Israel from all his iniquities.
Glória Patri, et Fílio, et Spirítui Sancto. Sicut erat in princípio, et nunc, et semper, et in sǽcula sæculórum. Amen.Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost. As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
Ant. Ne reminiscáris, Dómine, delícta nostra, vel paréntum nostrórum, neque vindíctam sumas de peccátis nostris. (T.P. Alleluia.)Ant. Remember not, O Lord, our offences, nor those of our fathers; neither take Thou vengence on our sins. (P.T. Alleluia). 
℣. Kýrie, eléison.℣. Lord, have mercy on us.
℞. Christe, eléison.℞. Christ, have mercy on us.
℣. Kýrie, eléison.℣. Lord, have mercy on us.
Pater noster, qui es in cælis: sanctificétur nomen tuum; advéniat regnum tuum; fiat volúntas tua, sicut in cælo, et in terra. Panem nostrum cotidiánum da nobis hódie; et dimítte nobis débita nostra, sicut et nos dimíttimus debitóribus nostris;Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name; thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us;
℣. et ne nos indúcas in tentatiónem;℣. and lead us not into temptation,
℞. sed líbera nos a malo.℞. but deliver us from evil.
℣. Ego dixi: Dómine, miserére mei.℣. I said: Lord, have mercy upon me.
℞. Sana ánimam meam, quia peccávi tibi.℞. Heal my soul, for I have sinned against Thee.
℣. Convértere, Dómine, aliquántulum.℣. Turn Thee, O Lord, a little towards us. 
℞. Et deprecáre super servos tuos.℞. And be entreated for Thy servants.
℣. Fiat misericórdia tua, Dómine, super nos.℣. Let Thy mercy, O Lord, be upon us.
℞. Quemádmodum sperávimus in te.℞. As we have hoped in Thee.
℣. Sacerdótes tui induántur justítiam.℣. Let Thy priests be clothed with righteousness.
℞. Et Sancti tui exúltent.℞. And let Thy Saints rejoice.
℣. Ab occúltis meis munda me, Dómine.℣. From my secret sins cleanse me, O Lord.
℞. Et ab aliénis parce servo tuo.℞. And from those of others spare Thy servant.
℣. Dómine, exáudi oratiónem meam.℣. Lord, hear my prayer.
℞. Et clamor meus ad te véniat.℞. And let my cry come unto Thee.
℣. Dóminus vobíscum.℣. The Lord be with you.
℞. Et cum spíritu tuo.℞. And with thy spirit.


"The Holy Mass is a prayer itself, even the highest prayer that exists. It is the Sacrifice, dedicated by our Redeemer at the Cross, and repeated every day on the Altar. If you wish to hear Mass as it should be heard, you must follow with eye, heart and mouth all that happens at the Altar. Further, you must pray with the Priest the holy words said by him in the Name of Christ and which Christ says by him. You have to associate your heart with the holy feelings which are contained in these words and in this manner you ought to follow all that happens at the Altar. When acting in this way you have prayed Holy Mass." 
-- His Holiness, Pope St Pius X

No comments:

Post a Comment